Pano Direct Service is a lightweight Windows service residing within each desktop virtual machine.
It extends the virtual desktop’s system bus across the network, linking peripherals attached to the Pano Zero Client to Windows drivers installed in the desktop virtual machine’s operating system.
Using the Pano Direct Protocol, purpose-built for virtual desktops, our Pano Direct technology delivers a user experience and performance equivalent to a PC.
The Pano Direct service has the following benefits and requirements:
- Native Windows driver support ensures compatibility with a broad range of printers, scanners, and other USB peripherals
- Light-weight design minimizes the load placed on hypervisor server and reduces CPU/RAM allocations, working on both Windows XP and Windows 7
- Deployment flexibility with support for hybrid deployments of Zero Clients, software Virtual Clients, and other hardware endpoints including thin clients and iPads
- Pano Direct Service has broad support for USB peripherals. When a USB peripheral such as a USB thumb drive is inserted into a Pano Zero Client, Pano Desktop Service and the Pano Controller work in conjunction to enforce the defined usage policies. Pano Direct Service will allow the USB operation and connection into Windows only if the user is authorized for the particular device and operation.
- Supported Operating Systems – Pano Direct Service supports both Windows XP Professional (32-bit only) and all editions of Windows 7 (both 32- and 64-bit) as the operating system in your desktop virtual machines
- Network Capabilities – to provide an optimal user experience, Pano Zero Clients require a LAN connection of 100 Mbps or more to the Pano Controller and desktop virtual machine servers. High bandwidth connections between the hypervisor servers and the storage servers or SANs used to hold desktop virtual machine images is also recommended. Connecting to Pano Zero Clients over a WAN is not recommended because of user experience limitations from the relatively high latency and low bandwidth of most WANs – we offer Pano Remote for these types of network connections.
- Users/Applications – while Pano Zero Clients provide excellent desktop performance for virtually all task and knowledge workers, including web-based audio/video playback and communications, we suggest you test before deploying them to power users using multimedia content creation suites, trying to play full-screen or high-definition video, or who need to run graphically-intensive applications such as CAD/CAM.
[+] USB Support
- Isochronous audio/video devices like USB headsets, speakers, microphones and webcams
- USB flash drives, hard drives and mass storage devices
- USB CD/ DVD readers/burners and floppy drives
- Printers and scanners, including business card scanners
- USB hubs and USB-to-serial converters
- Touch screen displays
- and other USB devices
- The Pano Direct Service allows the use of native Windows drivers for a wide range of other specialized USB peripherals devices such as credit card readers used in retail point-of-sale terminals or data acquisition devices used on manufacturing plant floor equipment. Support for native drivers generally means that if it runs on a PC, it will run on a Pano System virtual desktop.